Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"It Has Begun." - Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat

You know that feeling you get when everything around just seems to be moving in an incomprehensible blur and you are stuck at the center, just watching and immobile. Imagine one of those whirling, spinning toys you get at the carnival. You know, the one with the ball in the middle that remains completely still while all around it lighted metal rings flitter and gyrate in fanciful spectacle. Consider me (at this point) that ball; stuck in the middle of whirling chaos but remaining completely still, almost stagnant. Think the cover of Avril Lavigne's first album, "Let Go". Something isolated like that.

This summer has been one for the books. I've reinvented myself, became a regular at a coffee shop, laid the foundations for great relationships/friendships, became infinitely more fabulous, further cemented my love of hand gestures and inside jokes, perpetuated my compulsive shopping habit, and stressed enough to last me enough 11 lifetimes. The blur of these past few months has created a typhoon of color that paints my life history with an interesting artistic styling, like my own Mona Lisan dimple. And now I am at the center. 

Unable to move
Unable to breathe.
Unable to THINK.

I leave tomorrow and that freaks the shit out of me. There was a glimmer of reality when Julz left us but that easily faded when I remembered that I would see her in a month. Like a brick to the side of the head, this study abroad adventure has hit me hard. I will not see those I'm accustomed to seeing easily. No longer will I be in classes thinking of my Saturday night at Neighbours. Or meeting a friend for dinner at the Bistro or at Bauhaus or at the Bottom Line.  Nope, it's straight up Scandinavia from here on out. But I like fish so it aint nothing but a hair flip, gurl :)

I guess once I cross that international border and into the realm of foreign national status, credit card charging, and currency conversion fees, myself and my visa-wielding comrades will soak up the experience and represent good 'ol Americana. In all her beautiful colors of the rainbow, of course.

P.S. A big up to my gurls who made my last night in Seattle (for a while) a really fun one. Work, bitches! 

Till my Norwegian landing, I bid you adieu, ladies and gents.

Ha det

1 comment:

Julz Iggy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.